New Falmouth Town
Falmouth Town is one of the busiest town on the North Coast of Jamaica
New Falmouth Town, Trelawny – Jamaica
Falmouth was created at the height of prosperity…
New Falmouth is one of the few towns in Jamaica that was laid out according to a plan. A few years after it was founded, Falmouth had 150 houses and was steadily built up over the next 40 years, until around the year 1830 when its steady decline began.
New Falmouth, which is just a 20 minutes drive from Duncans Bay, was created at the height of prosperity that came from sugar, because Trelawny was one of the richest parishes in sugar having over 88 Sugar Plantation Estates, (only three remained today) so Falmouth declined in importance.
Falmouth was also noted for the introduction of teeth and scientific experiments.
The Georgian Era…
Residents in Falmouth received piped water pumped from the Marta Brae River…
The isolation of Falmouth has helped to preserve its historical heritage. No town of the Georgian Era besides Falmouth has retained its ancillary and dependent buildings most of which were slave quarters.
Many buildings in Falmouth are remarkable displays of what might be called Georgian Vernacular Architecture.
Residents in Falmouth received piped water pumped from the Marta Brae River before New York City residents experienced the comfort of piped water.
Believe it or not Falmouth once ruled the north coast. The now quiet town was the centre of commercial activities.
Falmouth Water Reservoir
The Falmouth Water Company built a Persian Water Wheel on the near by Martha Brae river.
[wpanchor id=”rightcol”]Ghost Town
Falmouth became something of a ghost town because planters and traders left Trelawny for Montego Bay and Kingston, so their houses and plantation estates building began to decay in the sun and salty air.
A chilling glimpse into Jamaica’s past…
Despite periodic calls for Falmouth to be granted some kind of official protection as a ‘Heritage Town’ there as been no noticeable effort to capitalize on its historic status ‘has far as mi concern’, and there are no easy access ‘attraction’.
Most visitors pass through the town without a second glance, however passing through the streets provides an unadorned and sometimes chilling glimpse into Jamaica’s past.
The lack of tourist glitz just adds up to its easy going charm….
The remains of old wharves and ware-houses along the sea coast are among reminders today of the towns former importance. As many as twenty-seven ships docked the harbour at the same time, unloading slaves, foods stuff, dry goods, fine furniture and house hold wares.
In exchange for sugar, rum, log wood, limes and dyes. In those days the ships depended on the trade winds to blow them back home. Sometimes they had to wait in the port for up to one month for the right wind.
In 1803 the town had a stone cage built for the drunken sailors. Each ship carried twenty-seven sailors and while they waited they would create uproar in the town. Sometimes when the sailors got drunk they would walk around Falmouth and get into fight and arguments, this had an effect on the town, so much that the Town Fathers decreed that the sailors could not be in Falmouth later than 6pm in the evening, if caught they were to be jailed for the night.
Apart from the sailing ships from North America or England, Falmouth Harbour was alive with a great deal of local traffic, including canoes of fishermen. Falmouth Harbour was not deep enough to accommodate larger vessels so trades were diverted to bigger harbours.
Falmouth Court House
Original Georgian design…
Falmouth original Court House was built in 1815. Later the building was almost completely destroyed by a fire in 1926.
The present Court House was renovated to it’s original Georgian design and many hours of talented building work went into this great example of Georgian design, except for the roof-lines and windows. Today the Court House house’s the office of Trelawny Parish Council and The Resident’s Magistrates Court and is a very powerful building in the town.
New Falmouth Town
The stone cage that was built for the drunken sailors was later knocked down, Falmouth market took its place, Falmouth instead became Trelawny’s main market town, a status it still enjoys. Each Wednesday a bustling “Bend Down Market” on the east end of the historic town, Falmouth, spills out unto the street. Traders set out fruits, vegetables, bootleg, cloths, shoes etc, causing a whole day traffic jam. It’s called “Bend Down” simply because many of the vendors actually set up their wares right on the ground so you have to bend down.